Are you planning a trip or considering moving to Seattle? Why not come for one of the city’s best yearly events? Below are my 5 favorite annual Seattle events:
1. The Ballard Seafood Fest, July 7-8, 2017 – This is my favorite Seattle event of the year! The heart of Ballard closes off the streets to invite seafood vendors and bands to take over. Beer gardens, merchant tents, and local artists set up shop throughout the neighborhood. Nothing symbolizes Seattle summers better than seafood, music, and sunshine! This event is free for all to attend, so bring the whole family.
Tip: If you like crab, The “open-faced crab melt” is an item I recommend seeking out.
2. The Capitol Hill Block Party, July 21-23, 2017 – If you like live music and young, fun-loving crowds, the Capitol Hill Block Party is an event you won’t want to miss. A few blocks in the Capitol Hill neighborhood are shut down, fenced off, and filled with loud music from stages in every direction. Local bars also feature musical acts and drink specials inside the festival premises.
Tip: While there are restaurants and food stands inside the festival area, you are better off eating before you arrive. If you do get hungry inside, I recommend finding a hot dog stand and ordering a “Seattle dog” with cream cheese.
3. Bite of Seattle, July 21-23, 2017 – The Bite of Seattle is the largest food event in the city each year. Over 60 restaurants set up food booths that offer both “a bite” of food as well as larger dishes. It takes place right under the Space Needle at the Seattle Center. Party games, bands, and beer gardens are also scattered throughout the festival. I recommend attending at non peak hours to avoid the large crowds.
Fun fact: A few years ago I met “hotdog eating champion” Joey Chestnut at The Bite. Really nice guy 👍🏻
4. Seafair, August 4-6, 2017 – Think Mardi Gras on boats, but instead of parades, there are hydroplane races! The boating world comes together every August to enjoy the gorgeous Seattle lakes, specifically Lake Washington. Boating in Seattle is fantastic year round, but Seafair is always the busiest weekend of the year on the water. The Blue Angels air show is another highlight of the weekend. Boat rentals are available but you will need to book them early!
Tip: If you rent a boat for Seafair, be sure to have a designated (sober) captain. The police are out in force to ensure everyone parties safely!
5. Bumbershoot Music and Comedy Festival, September 1-3, 2017 – Bumbershoot usually signifies the beginning of the end of summer in Seattle. It is a fantastic festival that always draws the top musical and comedy acts from around the world. A few of my favorite artists that I have personally seen at Bumbershoot in the past are: Kanye West, Drake, & The Weeknd.
Tip: Weekend passes are available for Bumbershoot, but you are better off picking one day/night to go. Since it takes place at the Seattle Center, you can visit the Space Needle the same day!
While these 5 Seattle events are my favorites, there are many more that are not mentioned above. If you are interested in learning about other things to do and see in the city, send me an email and I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.